Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The Timeline

I met you in June when I was technically single although still making out with my ex in the stairwell of his apartment building. I thought you were something else. Decided to give myself a chance with you and in July told my ex I was through.

I left for Spain in September and by October you had a $300 phone bill from all the times you’d call. I thought you were special and liked that you cared enough to call me weekly.

By December I came home to find a bouquet of 24 long stem red roses on my door with balloons that said I miss you. I thought you might be the one, after all why else would you do this?

In May, after much thought and 9 months of studying in Spain, I thought maybe I need to get out. I am too young to settle down. So I had the perfect excuse to end our relationship. You threw a curve ball and my plan back-fired. I kept my mouth shut and thought it was a sign that maybe we should go on.

By the following December you were proposing and I wasn’t quite sure of what to do but was taught the right answer was yes so I went along with it. I thought you were special, different, something else. With time you would become the one.

Two year engagement because I was dragging my feet, but you were my friend and I trusted you so marriage seemed a safe haven. After all I thought you were something else, and all the signs seemed to say I should go on, and so I told myself, you are the one.

Five years into the marriage and I finally see you clearly. You were not something else, you were just like the rest. For nine years you lied. I was the best you could do, but you weren’t the best I could do. You were not special; you were just like the rest. You came before anyone else, knew I would have never married you had I known the truth so you hid it beneath the surface and cast an illusion. No dreams, no future, just living day by day without a hope of something better. You were not the one, you were just a magician, everyone captivated believed the trick, it was so credible you started to believe it yourself.

When I finally saw clearly 9 years had passed me by and finally I saw: I am something else because I want different, I am special because I face challenges and still rise above it, I am the one and only and don’t need you by my side. I am capable of success all on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment